Overeating is a common problem affecting millions of people across the world, whether they are overweight or not. The majority of these folks tend to overeat when they are under some kind of stress or anxiety. They ignore the physical signs of satiation when they suffer from these mental states. This is why binge eating is not only a physical problem but an emotional issue too. Fortunately, there are a few important steps to stop binge eating by controlling your appetite. This article provides information on 5 ways of controlling your appetite and preventing overeating.
1. Eat Your Breakfast – You may have already heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. A high protein breakfast will provide the energy to keep us full until lunch time. It helps improve your concentration at work and school and prevent binge eating on snacks high in sugar and fat before lunch time. A recent study found that people who skip breakfast tend to be more overweight and possess elevated fasting lipid concentrations. It will leave them prone to overeating during the rest of the day which will enhance their risk of obesity-related illnesses.
2. Fiber Curbs Hunger – If you feel too hungry when you sit down for a meal, you tend to overeat. The best way to deal with this problem is to fill up yourself with fiber-rich vegetables before you start eating any other type of food. You can use fiber-rich vegetables as a pre-meal appetizer to control your appetite and prevent overeating during the main course. Fiber fills up you and prevents overeating.
3. Use A Small Plate – A 2006 study found that people tend to serve themselves based on the size of their plates. People served and consumed a larger amount of cereals when they were given large plates compared to people who were given smaller plates. Although it may sound like playing tricks with your mind, rest assure that it is for a good cause. In fact, portion size is a key factor when it comes to preventing family members from overeating at family dinners.
4. Mindful Eating – Mindful eating techniques are important to prevent overeating. It includes pacing yourself at meals and avoiding doing anything that distracts you during mealtimes. If you sit in front of the television or computer while you eat, it can interfere with your ability to perceive portion sizes. This will eventually result in overeating. Studies have shown that people who eat fast without chewing their food don’t allow their brains to recognize the flavor. This delays your brain from sending a signal that you are really full. In fact, you need to spend at least twenty minutes per meal and chew the food properly prior to swallowing it. This helps prevent any overeating issues during mealtimes.
5. Healthy Snacks – When uncontrollable hunger pangs set in, make sure you indulge in a healthy snack. A healthy snack such as fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins will help prevent food cravings. You should replace sugary drinks and juices with drinking water which is one of the best ways to feel full without extra calories. In fact, the more you consume addictive foods such as carbohydrate, fat, salt, and sugar, the more your body will clamor for them. Making a habit of consuming healthy snacks when hunger pangs set in will help you cut down on binge eating. This will help control your appetite and prevent overeating.